Competency-Based QA Interview Questions
Below are some examples of behavioral interview questions that explore the 5 core QA competencies:
1. Time Management
Have you ever experienced conflicting priorities while trying to handle multiple projects? Tell me how you scheduled your QA activities to deal with it.
In answering you need to demonstrate your ability to–
- set objectives and prioritize wisely
- identify and apportion resources as required
- set realistic goals to objectives
For instance, in order for a quality audit to be effective, there must be adequate planning.
2. Critical Thinking
Was there ever a time when you had to make a decision with incomplete information, or make a complex decision within a very tight deadline? Tell me about it.
In answering you should–
- highlight your ability to analyze the situation
- detail the decision criteria
- demonstrate that you have taken into consideration the available resources, restrictions, and organizational objectives
- show that you can use a structured process to develop alternative solutions
- be able to commit to the most convenient course of action
Recount the most complicated problem you had to deal with at work recently and describe the tools and methods you used to solve it.
Was there ever a time when you thought you had solved a problem but later realized that it was part of an even bigger problem? Tell me how you dealt with it.
In your answer demonstrate your ability to–
- collect and arrange relevant data
- identify crucial matters
- recognize relationships of cause and effect
- effectively apply corrective action that eliminates the root cause
4. Attention to Detail
In monitoring corrective action, what are your methods for ensuring that no details are missed?
Tell me about a time you identified an issue your team had missed.
When you’re answering QA interview questions on your quality orientation you need to demonstrate:
- how detail-oriented you are
- your accuracy in completing details
- your ability to focus on every aspect of the process
- your accuracy in checking processes
- how you maintain vigilance over time
5. Communication Skills
Describe a time when you persuaded a colleague or manager about a QA activity.
Was there ever a time when you had to share expected standards with a co-worker? Tell me about it.
When answering QA interview questions concerning communication, highlight how you efficiently use suitable communication methods and interpersonal styles to win approval for a plan, activity, or document.
- Demonstrate your ability to select an appropriate approach to the situation and express the benefit of the action to the receiver.
- Acknowledgment of concerns and management of objections form part of the communication process.
You also need to understand what is expected of you when responding to behavioral interview questions at your job interview.
Duties and responsibilities of QA
The duties and responsibilities of the QA role are clearly outlined in the quality assurance job description.
Quality assurance interview questions – skills and technical knowledge
Ensure that you are well prepared for QA interview questions that examine your specific experience and knowledge of QA.
Apart from the specific QA interview questions we’ve discussed, you need to ensure that you are also ready for standard job interview questions like those below:
- Why do you want to work with us?
- Why are you the best person for this job?
- Tell me about yourself
The project management interview questions are useful in preparing you for your QA job interview.
Ensure that you also have a list of insightful QA questions you’d like to ask your interviewer.